Saturday, January 19, 2013

Stumbling Upon an Answer

I just happened to stumble upon a terrific blog this morning, and it really struck a chord in me, so I thought I'd share it with others. One of the things I have struggled with over the last couple of years is what my purpose is in life. I think this happens to a lot of us - particularly stay at home moms - when our kids go off to school all day, and we are left with the task of rediscovering ourselves once again and deciding - "what now"? Do I go back to school? Do I get a job? What is my calling in life? In a nutshell...who do I want to be?

I finally decided that it was important to me to go back to school, but then the question became - what will I study? I felt such an immense pressure to make the "right" choice, because unlike those days of being fresh out of high school, I no longer want to spend endless amounts of time in school changing my mind and my major. Been there done that as they say. So, I asked myself - what is my calling in life? what is my purpose? how can I help others and fulfill myself? I made a choice and started back to school only to have to take a hiatus while moving halfway across the country. Now, it is time again to start thinking about jumping back in, and once again my mind begins to flutter and spin - am I still on board with my previous choice? is it the right thing for me? If I make the "wrong" choice will I miss out on my true calling?

I thoroughly enjoyed this blog post and recommend it to others as an inspirational read if you're struggling with your purpose in life or even if you're not:

http://kriscarr.com/blog/the-myth-of-finding-your-purpose/

It made so much sense to me and made me feel instantly lighter as she explained that putting so much value on an "external purpose" doesn't make sense as there are too many ways that it can be unfulfilled or lost. Placing value on knowing ourselves, loving ourselves and nuturing ourselves is so much more important, the rest is just gravy - so to speak. It felt like I happened upon this blog post for a reason - a reminder to look within for the answers and fulfillment.

No comments:

Post a Comment